A Lakeside Destination For Business and Leisure
As part of the Draft Master Plan 2008 Review, the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) revealed the blueprint for Jurong Lake District and plans to decentralize commercial activities from the Core region by transforming Jurong Lake District into a unique lakeside destination for business and leisure within 10 to 15 years.
Jurong Lake District consists of two complementary precincts, Jurong Gateway and Lakeside. These refer to the areas around the Jurong East MRT Station and Jurong Lake in the west region of Singapore. It will be the biggest commercial hub in Singapore occupying a total area of 360 ha, which is about the size of Marina Bay.
Introducing the ambitious plans to an audience comprising 500 developers, architects, other industry players and staff at the URA’s annual corporate plan seminar, Minister Mah said, “Jurong East will reflect our commitment to achieve a sustainable balance between supporting economic needs and improving the living environment for our people. We will boost Jurong East’s positioning as a commercial centre, with new injection of office, retail and hotel quantum. At the same time, we will enhance the living environment by leveraging on the scenic greenery and waterfront access to the Jurong Lake. We will turn Jurong East into a unique lakeside and garden destination”.
A much sought after lakeside destination
On the potential for the Jurong Lake District to offer Singaporeans and visitors a brand new experience, Mrs Cheong Koon Hean, CEO, URA, said, “Jurong Gateway and Lakeside are precious gems which offer exciting opportunities for the development of leisure attractions and the biggest commercial hub outside the city centre. To realise this vision, the planners have developed strategies that capitalise on the wonderful assets these areas have. These include building upon the strategic location of Jurong Gateway which is well served by road and rail, and in the midst of a large population and customer catchment. The lake and its greenery are also unique features which can be enhanced. We would like to bring about a transformed image for this area. The Jurong Lake District will become a much sought after lakeside destination for business and leisure.”
Jurong Gateway (Biggest Commercial Hub Outside the City)
- Located around the Jurong East MRT Station, the new plans for the 70 ha Jurong Gateway is to be develop into a vibrant commercial hub with a good mix of office, retail, residential, hotel, entertainment, food & beverage (F&B) and other complementary uses.
- It will be the biggest commercial hub outside the city centre providing:
- 500,000 sqm of office space
- 250,000 sqm of retail, F&B and entertainment space
- About 2,800 hotel rooms will also be introduced at the fringe of Jurong Gateway, next to Lakeside, to meet the increasing demand for hotel rooms and to cater to the new leisure attractions and businesses that will be introduced around Jurong Lake and Jurong Gateway.
- In addition to the commercial space, approximately 1,000 new homes will be added around the Jurong East MRT station, providing more opportunities to live and work in the area.
- Singaporeans and visitors can look forward to seamless connections at Jurong Gateway. From Jurong East MRT station, pedestrians can walk conveniently and comfortably to most developments and public facilities around the area through an extensive network of walkways. They can also stroll to attractions at Jurong Lake area through a new pedestrian walkway.
- Lush greenery and panoramic views of the lake also await visitors. New landscaped open spaces and park connectors will be introduced at the street-level, while skyrise and rooftop greenery will also be encouraged on many of the buildings in the area. Key developments in the area will also offer scenic views of the lake.
JURONG GATEWAY’S ATTRACTIVENESS
Jurong Gateway offers a highly attractive location outside the Central Business District for company headquarters, business services as well as companies in the science and technology sectors. Companies that set up their offices at Jurong Gateway will be able to:
- gain ready access to a large labour and customer pool from more than one million residents in the surrounding towns of Clementi, Bukit Batok, Jurong East and Jurong West
- enjoy the close proximity to a substantial cluster of multinational and global businesses of more than 3,000 companies around the International Business Park and the Jurong and Tuas Industrial Estates
- tap on a large talent pool from the many surrounding tertiary institutions and research hubs like the Nanyang Technological University, National University of Singapore, One-North and the Science Park.
Jurong Gateway is already a major transport hub, well served by three MRT stations, a bus interchange and two major expressways.
- Spread over 220 ha of land and 70 ha of water, Lakeside is envisaged to be developed into a major leisure destination for Singaporeans and tourists.
- The first anchor attraction is the new world class Science Centre which will be moved next to the Chinese Garden MRT station. There are plans to accommodate four or five new edutainment attractions targeted at families with young children, in addition to the existing attractions of the Jurong Bird Park, Chinese and Japanese Gardens. The URA will be working with the Singapore Tourism Board to develop appropriate attractions in this area. The attractions could be those with edutainment theme or nature-based attractions leveraging on the lake, or attractions with hotels, F&B and retail uses.
- A new lakeside village will be created next to the Jurong Lake. Just minutes away from Jurong Gateway, the village offers an alternative shopping and dining experience, with F&B, retail and entertainment uses and boutique hotels by the lakeside. This village will be connected to Jurong Gateway through a network of walkways, making it a natural gathering place for residents, visitors and people working nearby.
- A new public park will be developed at the western edge of Jurong Lake. New water activities like kayaking and dragon-boating will also be introduced.
- New waterways and a landscaped walkway will be created to bring the experience of the lake closer to the main commercial hub at Jurong Gateway.